Thursday, January 20, 2011

2010 in Review

Since I haven't been very good at keeping up with my blog, I wanted to segue into writing again with a little review of the past year.  I found this list on one of my favorite blogs http://erinkristine.blogspot.com/ and thought it would be fun to fill out... enjoy!

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? I had a child... I grew him in my body, gave birth to him, and have kept him safe and happy.  I have become a mother to my son in more ways than just having a child.  I have never experienced such an incredible miracle as my son who is now almost nine months old...

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not make resolutions last year, I made a list and it is as follows:
1.Have a baby - this is a given, but it will be monumental to me so it is number one. CHECK!
2.Love the crap out of my husband - show him how much I love him and not ever take him for granted CHECK!
3.Make a dentist appointment CHECK!
4.Finish Conner's nursery CHECK!
5.Take down the Christmas tree before February CHECK!  day AFTER Christmas this year to be exact
6.Feel pretty at least once every day - needs improvement!
7.Organize the basement CHECK!
8.Finish one more semester of school CHECK!
9.Beat Mario Brothers on the Wii  - requires time that I just don't have
10.Make a cork board from my wine cork collection - again, requires time that I just don't have

3. Did anyone close to you have a child? Yes, two of my good friends that I have known for years both had their babies within a month of Conner.  We try to get them all together at least once a month.  My sister in law is pregnant due in July 2011, and my good friend Kelly is due Valentine's day.

4. Did anyone close to you die? Jessica Binder, a woman of many talents, beauty, grace, and kindness passed away too young this year.  Jessica, you are missed

5. Where did you travel?  I went to St. Paul a few times to visit my mom and we took a family weekend to Watertown for our annual Thanksgiving celebration with Dave's side of the family.  Conner made it out both times!

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?  A social life.  I feel I have neglected many of my good friends due to my life changing so drastically.  I am looking for balance in 2011.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory? May 4-6, especially the 6th.  The day my son was born.  Also, July 20th the day I returned to work after having the longest break ever since joining the workforce. 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? My son.  He is happy and healthy - thriving actually - and is growing and learning so fast that I can't help but hope that I had something to do with it all.

9. What was your biggest failure? I wouldn't really consider this a failure, more of a disappointment, but I received my first "C" grade for a language class I took last semester.  I was still learning how to manage my time.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had major surgery, a cesarian section.  Even though I followed all the lists and rules and mantras, I still ended up exacty where I didn't want to be.  Regardless, my son was perfect and I healed very quickly.

11. What was the best thing you bought? The best thing I bought would have been my elyptical.  I gained 50+ pounds pregnant with Conner and after having him I needed to feel normal again.  I worked really hard and was able to lose all but three pounds.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Pretty sure I have the best husband on the planet.  He is patient and kind and thoughtful and he knows me better than I know myself.  He was my biggest support during my pregnancy, after Conner was born, through my bouts of anxiety and anger, and losing my job.  He is a wonderful man who has been the most wonderful husband.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Oh, there are a few people that I feel sad for but aren't important enough to me to take the time to complain about...

14. Where did most of your money go? Honestly, our savings account.  We made sure to make our house a home before our son came so we spnd a lot of time at home together as a family.  Otherwise, the obvious - morgage, heating bills, car, gas, groceries, baby clothers, diapers, baby clothes, baby clothes...

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?  A few things - my first glass of wine afte my son was born.  That was a pretty big deal even though I fell asleep with it in my hands.  But even more so than that, I was SO excited for Conner and I wake up every morning looking forward to my time with him because I am witnessing him develop and grow and learn right before my eyes.  There is nothing like having your child look up at you with his big blue eyes, smile, and say, "mama!". 

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?   Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home.  Everytime I hear this, I just want to bbear hug my guys

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?  a) happier!  I am not pregnant, I have my kid and he's awesome, and I really have no complaints... none at all.  b)  I wouldn't say thinner or fatter, but maybe just different.  After you have a baby - you may weigh the same as you did before you bacame pregnant but let's just say things jsut aren't the same :) I will go with curvier and with stronger arms c) richer, definately richer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? weeeeeeeeeell, there are a few things that come to mind.  I think one in particular would be writing on this blog.  Otherwise, I had a pretty full year.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Cleaning, laundry, daily boring stuff that doesn't matter at the end of the day and only takes away from time with Conner.  I worried a lot this year too.  I have been trying to teach myself to relax and roll with the punches, but I worry all the time.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?  I spent Christmas this year at home with Dave and Conner and the puppies.  We had my side over and it was chaotic and crazy and a lot of fun.  It was Conner's first Christmas, so we absolutely made the most of it for his sake.

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?  more and more and more every single day.  I love you Conner...

22. What was your favorite TV program?  Breaking Bad for sure.. and Dexter.  I am going to admit this only once, I also really get into the Bachelor

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is such a strong word.  I think there are definately people that I have chosen to omit from my life for personal reasons, but I wouldn't say I hate anyone.

24. What was the best book you read? Caring for Your Baby and Young Child - Great read, really

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?  The Black Keys, Edward Sharpe, Florence and the Machine

26. What did you want and get? A perfect baby boy, a new job, a Kitchen Aid Mixer who I refer to as Oliver.
27. What did you want and not get? Darn it, that "C" grade is hunting me again...

28. What was your favorite film of this year? If any good movies came out this year, I didn't see any

 29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? What DID I do on my birthday?  I know I turned 29, so that was just great.  I am pretty sure my husband did something awesome for me...

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?  I would have taken more time away from work after Conner was born.  I realized when I went back that the three months we had together was spent just getting to know each other and I would have loved to take more time to really enjoy my little guy.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?  This question cracks me up... anyone that knows me knows that I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl and the only reason I look somewhat stylish when I leave the house is only thanks to my extensive scarf collection.

33. What kept you sane? Conner sleeping through the night, taking long walks in the fall with Conner in the stroller, grocery shopping, loud music, and hugs.  Lots and lots of hugs.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I have to say I jumped right on the Lohan hate wagon... otherwise, not really worth my time.  I did however enjoy many episodes of the Real Housewives, especially the New Jersey reunion show.  I think I actually got drunk that night

35. What political issue stirred you the most? the story that shook me to my core was an article I read about mandatory female sterilization.  That a country could do such a thing is beyond disturbing.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/this-woman-was-forced-to-be-sterilized-what-would-you-do-2413398/

36. Who did you miss?  I miss some of my good friends who have drifted away after too many unanswered phone calls or cancelled plans.  I miss you Leah and Liz and Jackie and Katie and Heidi and Kelly... to all my friends that have probably given up on me.  I am not a lost cause yet... there was most likely a crying baby and an absent mind when you rang.

37. Who was the best new person you met? Well, Conner obviously!  I can't forget Zooey and Isaac either.  I also met a new friend in my lamaze who had her daughter, Addison, the same day Conner was born.  I haen't me Addison yet, but hope to soon. 

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.  Life truly is what you make of it. I have really learned that I am responsible for my own happiness.  I have learned that things happen for a reason and not everything will go as planned and that is OK.  I have learned that I am stronger than I thought I was and that I can indeed carry around a 23 pound baby while feeding him his bottle, loading the dishwaher, checking the stove to make sure dinner is not boiling over, and singing all about it the enire time...

1 comment:

Jennifer S. said...

fabulous post Jenny -- love your writing - glad you are back to it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails